It’s Hubby’s favorite (along with blueberry muffins) so I make them from time to time. The secret (as with muffins) is not to overbeat the batter. Mix all the dry ingredients first – and thoroughly – before adding any liquid.
2 cups flour
1 1/2 buttermilk (you can substitute with milk and 1 1/2 tbsp white vinegar)
2 tbsp soft butter
4tbsp white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
squeeze of lemon juice
170g frozen bluberries
1 tsp icing sugar (optional)
berry jam (optional)
1. Defrost bluberries ahead.
2. In a bowl, sift together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder.
3. In another bowl, mix lemon juice, softened butter, and one egg at a time. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture in two parts. Carefeul not to overbeat.
4. Finish by gently folding blueberries.
5. Heat a little butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Scoop a dallop of batter onto the pan and cook with cover. When you turn over, cook uncovered.
6. Dust with icing sugar, serve with cream and berry jam.